Table of Contents
What exactly is Getresponse?
GetResponse is a comprehensive marketing software platform that helps you create content, boost sales, and increase traffic to your website. Integrated email marketing, autoresponders, and landing pages let you automate essential tasks and launch effective marketing campaigns. Advanced analytics make it easy to track conversions, leads, and ROI, and learn what your customers want. Customizable template scenarios do the work for you no coding necessary.
Recently however, Getresponse’s feature set has evolved quite a bit, to the point where it has become more of an ‘all-in-one’ marketing solution.
In addition to email marketing, it now also provides webinar hosting, landing pages, automated sales funnels, and some CRM (customer relationship management) functionality.
Getresponse has been in business since 1998; and, according to the company, 350,000 individuals and businesses use the platform for their email marketing.
GetResponse pricing starts at $15.00 per month, per user. There is not a free version of GetResponse.GetResponse does offer a free trial. See additional pricing details for GetResponse below.
There are four Getresponse plans:
- Basic — starting at $15 per month to send an unlimited number of emails to up to 1,000 subscribers
- Plus — starting at $49 per month for up to 1,000 subscribers
- Professional — starting at $99 per month for up to 1,000 subscribers
- Enterprise — starting at $1,199 per month for lists exceeding 100,000
As you add more subscribers to your list, the costs increase. At the top end of the scale, you can expect to pay $450, $499 or $580 per month respectively to host a list with 100,000 subscribers in it on the ‘Basic’, ‘Plus’ and ‘Professional’ plans.
Significant discounts are available if you pay upfront for 12 or 24 months of service (18% and 30% respectively).
- A/B Testing
- CAN-SPAM Compliance
- Customer Surveys
- Drip Campaigns
- Dynamic Content
- Event-Triggered Email
- Image Library
- Landing Pages/Web Forms
- Mailing List Management
- Mobile Optimized Emails
- Subscriber Management
- Template Management
- WYSIWYG Email Editor
Key differences between plans
All the Getresponse plans cover the email marketing basics you might expect — core features include:
- the ability to import, grow and host a mailing list
- a selection of themes to use for your e-newsletters
- autoresponder functionality
- responsive email designs
- split testing
- in-depth reporting
- RSS / blog to-email functionality
- comprehensive segmentation options
- social sharing tools
There are a number of differences between the ‘Basic’, ‘Plus” and ‘Professional’ plans but for me, the key ones are below (we discuss them all in-depth later on in the review):
- Automation builder — arguably Getresponse’s standout feature, the automation builder (which
- allows you to build complex autoresponder sequences based on user behavior) is available on the ‘Plus’ plan or higher (you can create 5 automation on the plus plan; unlimited on the other plans).
- Autofunnel — Getresponse’s tools and templates for building automated sales funnels becomes available on the ‘Plus’ plan (limited to 5 funnels)
- CRM — Getresponse provides a (rather basic) customer relationship manager tool on the ‘Plus’ plan or higher
- Webinars — this functionality is not available at all on the ‘Basic’ plan and the number of webinar attendees is capped for the ‘Plus’, ‘Professional’ and ‘Enterprise’ plans at 100, 300 and 500 respectively
- Users — you can only have one user account on the ‘Basic’ plan; by contrast, you get 3 on ‘Plus’, 5 on ‘Professional’ and 10 on ‘Enterprise’.
- E-commerce – you can only avail of the full set of Getresponse e-commerce tools (which allow you to sell products) if you are on a ‘Plus’ plan or higher.
Key Getresponse features
By comparison with other email marketing tools, Getresponse’s feature set is one of the most comprehensive available.
Not only does Getresponse provide all the key stuff you’d expect from an email marketing platform — list hosting, templates, autoresponders, analytics and so on, but as mentioned above, it’s recently been expanding its feature set to the point where has morphed into an all-in-one marketing and e-commerce solution.
“GetResponse Email Software or something more?”
Overall: When I started my business, I needed a way to digitally manage and track my engagement with potential customers and converting leads into sales. I also needed a way to keep my content subscribers engaged and up to date with new content, I was releasing. I decided to take a look at GetResponse and I am very glad I did.
What I found was not just a simple email autoresponder, but a complete digital marketing platform. Sure, I am able to set up automated email lists and responders but it’s much more than that. I can manage my newsletters, and it’s an easy process because they even give you newsletter templates that are very convenient and easy to use, but you can create your own if needed.
One of the best features about GetResponse is the Workflow Editor, it allows me to set up specific processes, so I can create a landing page then perform an email collection task and push them to the content they were looking for in a fluid simple movement. Once the email is collected it can go into a holding pattern and the software will automatically send the contact a welcome email right away or at a specified time after the initial engagement.
You can even set up emails in advance and time them to be delivered days after the initial contact to remind them of your brand and keep your business on their mind. The visual elements of the Workflow Editor make it so easy to set up very complex marketing and content delivery campaigns with very little effort. One of the most powerful email tools you can get.
Pros The Ease of use for this platform is staggering for beginners and for proficient users alike. There are even training guides and videos to help you get up and running quickly. The platform has so many automation that you can set up to automate your onboarding process and you won’t believe how easy it is to set these up.
There is a very powerful Workflow Editor that makes setting up a complete email marketing campaign a breeze and the templates are reasonably laid out, so you can build your whole campaign efficiently and quickly using templates or if you need a more complex setup you can build from scratch.
Finally, the reports and statistics tools are very robust and can help you to understand what is working the best for your business and what campaigns need some rethinking. Additionally, the pro plan offers access to webinar marketing. All plans come with a free 30-day trial so you can get started with no upfront investment.
Cons The smallest plan only allows for a 1000 subscriber list and access to the landing pages. If you grow fast you will need to bump up to the next level which costs more however you also then get access to 5000 subscribers and you get access to do the webinar marketing so it’s not really a negative. You also get access to several other useful features.
GetResponse is a quality platform that has been very reliable with the design and delivery of our marketing emails. I really like the way that the emails look when they are delivered, and the level of control that you have over this within the platform.
I don’t think the User Interface is quite as intuitive as MailChimp, but the quality is just as good, the prices are more competitive, and the customer service is great. Any time I have a question, I can get a member of the GetResponse team in Live Chat to navigate me through it.